Charles City, Iowa – The Charles City Fire Department responded to a report of a kitchen fire at 2623 Wandering Acres Dr. at about 6:53PM Sunday evening.
Upon arrival, smoke was seen coming from the home. Entry was made, and firefighters found that the fire had essentially self-extinguished. Firefighters checked for hot spots with a thermal imaging camera, and ventilated heavy smoke from the home. Twenty CCFD firefighters responded to the fire with an engine and a water tanker.
The resident safely escaped the fire, and no other injuries were reported.
According to Floyd County Assessor online records, the home is owned by Marianne Griffin.
The fire remains under investigation, but the fire started in the kitchen area, and may possibly be caused by an electrical malfunction. There was heavy fire damage to the kitchen, moderate to major smoke damage through the rest of the house, and minimal water damage. The CCFD was back at the station and in service around 8:30PM.
The CCFD was assisted at the scene of the fire by the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office, AMR Ambulance, Floyd County Search and Rescue, Butler County REC, and Floyd Fire Department.