Mason City, Iowa – Authorities say five people have died in the fiery crash of a sport utility vehicle into a tree in Mason City.
Mason City Police say an officer discovered the accident scene around 2:40 a.m. Monday in the 400 block of 6th Street SW after officials noticed that power had been knocked out to hundreds of customers. Officials say the accident apparently caused the short-lived outage.
The names of the five individuals killed have been released:
- 20 year old Zachary Wolf Hartley of Mason City (driver)
- 17 year old Donte William Foster of Mason City (passenger)
- 18 year old Roderick Lemeaul Lewis of Mason City (passenger)
- 14 year old Sydney Nikole Acorn of Mason City (passenger)
- 19 year old Alex Parvon-Charles Wiebke of Mason City (passenger)
School officials and counselors are on hand for students and staff at the Mason City Community School district.
The investigation of the cause of the crash continues.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.