Charles City, Iowa – The Charles City Fire Department was alerted to a report of a house fire at 700 8th Avenue in Charles City on Tuesday afternoon.
A press release from the Charles City Fire Department states that MidAmerican Energy had been called by the homeowners to check for a potential electrical problem prior to the reported fire. The MidAmerican Energy employee found smoke and fire in the basement, who then advised the occupants to evacuate the home. Upon CCFD arrival, moderate smoke was seen coming from the home’s open door, although no fire was visible at that time from the exterior. After receiving a report from the MidAmerican employee, firefighters entered the home’s basement, where they encountered moderate smoke and found that there was fire near the electrical panel. The fire had already spread to the main level of the home in the walls, where flames then overtook a bedroom above the origin of the fire in the basement. Fourteen CCFD Firefighters responded to the fire with two engines, and an aerial.
According to Floyd County Assessor online records, the home is owned by Margaret Calvert.
An investigation revealed the fire started in the basement, likely due to an electrical malfunction in or near the electrical panel.
Major fire damage was reported to a main level bedroom, along with moderage water damage and heavy smoke damage throughout the rest of the home.
One non-occupant at the scene was transported to Floyd County Medical Center for possible smoke inhalation but otherwise no other injuries were reported.
The CCFD was assisted by the 911 Communications Center, and at the scene of the fire by Charles City Police Department, AMR Ambulance, Floyd County Emergency Management, MidAmerican Energy, Colwell Fire Department, and Floyd Fire Department.