After a meeting with senior leadership, the Charles City middle school is set to reopen 5 days a week (pending the school board’s approval).
Though, this reopening process will be on a phased approach:
- On October 19th, 6th graders will be back at the middle school 5 days a week.
- Then on October 27th, the 7th graders are fully back.
- Finally, November 2nd the 8th grade will begin 5 days a week.
This was made possible by the state updating its definition on ‘close COVID-19 contacts’.
The Charles City high school is also receiving a bit of change:
- Starting on October 27th, 9-10th grade will be going to school on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
- And that same day, 11-12th grade will begin in-person schooling on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
In the Charles City schools release on the topic, the ‘How we made this decision’ section reads:
“Charles City Community Schools Senior Leadership team worked with a diverse group of people, including students, staff, parents, Floyd County Public Health, and the board of directors, to create “reentry teams” to find the safest way to fully reopen. In addition, we had more than 50 emails sent to our leadership from students, staff, and parents giving us additional suggestions.”
Currently on the district’s ‘COVID Dashboard’, there are no reported cases of the virus on their campuses.