During the early part of October, the Charles City school board voted to reopen the middle school and high school using a phased approach.
The phased schedule looked like this:
- 6th grade – all students 5 days per week beginning October 19
- 7th grade – all students 5 days per week beginning October 27
- 8th grade – all students 5 days per week beginning November 2
- 9-10th grade – all students 4 days per week beginning October 27 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
- 11-12th grade – all students 3 days per week beginning October 27 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
As of yesterday the 6th and 7th graders are fully back in classes – with the high schoolers running on a looser rotation. And according to Mike Fisher, it’s gone well – as over the last 3 weeks of classes there has been only 1 new case of COVID-19.
Fisher says the school isn’t letting its guard down when it comes to the virus.
The final reopening yet to occur is for 8th grade students which will happen on November 2nd. After that, the entire middle school population will be in school full time.
With winter sports season swiftly approaching, Fisher reminds potential sports fans to wear masks to basketball and wrestling events.