The Floyd County Community Foundation (FCCF) awarded almost $140,000 to 23 local projects during its 2021 grant awards celebration Wednesday night at the Floyd County Fairgrounds.
FCCF grants are awarded to projects in areas of arts and culture, community betterment, education and youth development, environment and animal welfare, health, and human service. Grant applicants must be a 501(c)(3) designated organization or government entity serving Floyd County to be considered for funding.
The Messiah Food Pantry at Jordan River in Charles City received the largest grant award at almost $12,000. Other recipients of $10,000 grants include Floyd County Fair Society, Marble Rock Fire Department, TLC, the Avalon Center, Floyd County Medical Center, and Northeast Iowa Food Bank
Amy Staudt, chair of the FCCF governing committee, said, “The Floyd County Community Foundation is thrilled to support these projects that are working to strengthen communities across Floyd County.”
The 2022 grant cycle opens August 15 with an application deadline of September 30. The grant guidelines and application can be found at www.floydccf.org.
*Here’s the complete list of 2021 grant recipients and projects:
Arts & Culture
- Charles City Arts Council, Town of Colors Mural Project, $5,000
- City of Charles City, Library – Inspired Art Programs, $9,320
- Floyd County Fair Society, The Sea Lion Splash Show, $10,000
- Floyd County Historical Society and Museum, Chautauqua Talks: Guest Speaker Series, $3,000
- Floyd County Quilts of Valor, Floyd County Quilts of Valor, $3,132
- The American Passenger Train History Museum, Renovation of the Historic 1912 Milwaukee Road Railroad Depot, $2,500
- Charles City Civic Foundation, Main Street Charles City – Downtown Bicycle Rack Project, $1,300
- City of Nora Springs, Nora Springs Downtown Community Betterment Project, $4,754.25
- Marble Rock Fire Department, SCBA Air Bottle Replacement, $10,000
- Rotary Club of Charles City, Bleachers and Christmas Lighting, $8,000
- Rudd Evergreen Cemetery, Cemetery Expansion, $4,500
Education & Youth Development
- Boy Scouts of America – Winnebago Council, Eliminating Barriers to Success, $1,000
- Charles City Family YMCA, Pool Equipment – Vacuum and Lane Line Reel, $5,000
- City of Charles City, Foster Grandparent Program – In-Services for AmeriCorps Seniors, $5,000
- Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa, Floyd County Girl Scouts Citizen Science Investigators, $1,000
- The Learning Center (TLC), The GRAND Plan Commercial Kitchen, $10,000
- Charles City Meals on Wheels, Charles City Meals on Wheels, $4,000
- Floyd County Medical Center, Laptops & Document Scanners, $10,000
- Avalon Center, Avalon Center Expansion, $10,000
- Jordan River, Messiah Food Pantry, $11,583.49
- Lutheran Services in Iowa, Families Together in Floyd County, $3,500
- Northeast Iowa Food Bank, Feeding Families, $10,000
- Trinity United Methodist Church – Charles City, Our Brothers Keeper, $5,000
Decisions on grant awards are determined by a local committee, which consists of volunteers from Floyd County. Committee members include: Sue Bortz, Lisa Garden, Randy Heitz, Kurt Hoeft, Sheila Koudelka, Jane Larson, Tracy Merfeld, Amy Staudt, Teresa Stevens-Marth and Erika Troyna.