Charles City, IA – Zoetis, a major Charles City employer, was recognized today (Tues) by ESGR as being a Patriotic Employer. The Director of Manufacturing, David Russell, was nominated by Chris Sommers. Sommers is an army sergeant and has been a process specialist for almost 6 years at Zoetis and says that Russell and Zoetis…
Let’s get you caught up on all the winter sports action that went on in our area over the weekend. The Charles City Comet boys and girls basketball teams were in Northeast Iowa Conference action against Crestwood on Friday night. The Comet boys were in a back and forth battle that went down to the…
Funeral Services for Harold E. Heeren, 78, of Greene, will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, January 29, 2015, at St. Peter Lutheran Church with Pastor Gary Hatcher officiating. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery, Greene. Visitation will be 5-7 p.m., Wednesday, January 28, 2015, at Retz Funeral Home, 519 N. First St. Greene with…
Des Moines, Iowa – House Democratic Leader Mark Smith of Des Moines has appointed Representative Todd Prichard of Charles City to several key posts for the upcoming 2015 legislative session. Prichard was selected by his peers to serve as an assistant leader earlier this month. He was selected to serve on the Ways and Means,…
- Former Forest City postmaster admits to stealing medication from the mail January 27, 2015A former north Iowa postal worker has admitted to stealing prescription medication from the mail. Fifty-five-year-old Danny Miller of Ventura admitted that while serving as the postmaster for Forest City between May of 2013 and July of 2014 he opened mail from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs addressed to a Forest City veteran. Miller admitted […]Dar Danielson
- Council Bluffs police officer cleared in December shooting January 27, 2015A southwest Iowa policeman will not face charges after shooting the driver of a stolen car last month as it nearly ran down the officer and his partner. Council Bluffs Police Officer Jarrod Poore fired two shots at the suspect, Jesse Wilkinson, as he sped past in the stolen Corvette on December 23rd. Both shots […]Radio Iowa Contributor
- Cyclones hang on to down Texas January 27, 2015Iowa State built a 21 point second half lead then held on late as Texas staged a furious rally as the 15th ranked Cyclones posted an 89-86 win. The Longhorns connected on 10 of 14 from three point range in the second half. “Maybe as stressful a game as I have ever been a part […]Todd Kimm
- Rally highlights ‘racial injustice’ and other CCI concerns January 27, 2015A few hundred members of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement rallied at the statehouse today, calling on state officials to address their concerns about water quality, predatory lenders and racial profiling. Deborah Bunka of Ames said the group also supports campaign finance reform. “And let’s get money the hell out of politics and get publicly-financed elections,” […]O. Kay Henderson
- Unemployment rate drops in December, nearing ‘full employment’ level January 27, 2015The state unemployment rate dropped down in December, and a spokesperson for Iowa Workforce Development says the state is getting close to full employment. IWD spokesperson, Kerry Koonce, says the December unemployment rate hit 4.1 percent, compared to 4.3 percent in November. “Four-point-one percent is actually the lowest rate we’ve had since June of 2008. […]Dar Danielson
- Two officers wounded in city council shootout January 27, 2015A man opened fire on police attending a swearing-in ceremony for new officers in New Hope, Minnesota, on Monday night.
- Civil rights verdicts to be tossed January 27, 2015A long walk for justice will end soon end for nine African-American men who pioneered the "jail, no bail" strategy during the lunch counter protests of the civil rights movement.
- Mormons signal change on LGBT rights January 27, 2015In at least one big and bruising culture-war battle, the Mormon church wants to call a partial truce.
- India displays military might January 27, 2015President Obama attended the Indian Republic Day Parade where the country's armed forces are showcased.
- Baby born during blizzard January 27, 2015A Massachusetts woman went into labor after a massive blizzard knocked out power to much of the town, including the hospital. Brooke Baldwin speaks to her.
- Gunmen attack luxury hotel January 27, 2015Gunmen shot their way into the luxurious Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli on Tuesday, and it wasn't immediately clear whether there were casualties in the attack.
- Man charged in Craigslist killings January 27, 2015A south Georgia man was charged Tuesday with murder in the death of a couple who went missing last week after contacting a car seller on Craigslist, police said.
- Federal worker owns WH drone January 27, 2015The man operating the drone that crashed on the White House grounds called the U.S. Secret Service on Monday morning to "self-report" his involvement in the incident.
- Here's what's happening state by state January 27, 2015Eastern Connecticut was the heaviest-hit part of the state and is still getting significant snowfall. In New Jersey, a statewide travel ban was lifted Tuesday morning.
- Super Bowl tickets for wrongfully imprisoned man January 27, 2015When Ryan Ferguson and his dad travel this week to Glendale, Arizona, for the Super Bowl, it will be a bucket-list experience.