OSAGE, IA – Have you ever been concerned about your personal safety? Would you know what to do and how to react if you were personally threatened? Mitchell County Extension and Outreach has partnered with Tai Kwon do Black Belt Instructor Lance Schutjer to offer a free self defense class. Schutjer who has been studying…
In a game heard right here on KCHA Friday night, the Charles City Comet Football team looked to make a run at the postseason as they were at home against Decorah. The Comets came out swinging and score on their first three drives, two of which were long TD passes from Levi Blaine to Shane…
Joseph “Joe” Matthew Firsching, 89, of Mason City, passed away peacefully, Friday, October 17, 2014 with his family by his side. A Memorial Service will be held at 10:30 am with a one hour prior visitation on Wednesday, October 22, 2014 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 302 5th ST SE, Mason City. Father Rodney Allers…
Des Moines, Iowa – The Natural Resource Commission (NRC) of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources will meet 12:30 p.m., Sept. 11, at the Wallace State Office Building north parking lot, 502 East Ninth Street, in Des Moines. Commissions will tour the DMACC watershed and Big Creek State Park prior to the meeting leaving the…
- Branstad’s ‘IowaNEXT’ board to cement his ‘legacy’ (AUDIO) October 20, 2014Governor Terry Branstad is unveiling his “legacy” vision for Iowa — a new state board that would coordinate and accelerate state government efforts to improve Iowa’s quality of life. Branstad said today that if he’s reelected to a sixth term next month, he’ll find new ways to pay to improve parks, “cultural hubs” and historic sites […]O. Kay Henderson
- Radio Iowa High School Football Poll 10/20/14 October 20, 2014Class 4A 1. Bettendorf (8-0), LW #1 @ Davenport West 2. Cedar Rapids Washington (8-0), LW #2 @ Burlington 3. Dowling Catholic (7-1), LW #3 @ DSM North 4. WDM Valley (7-1), LW #4 vs DSM Lincoln 5. Waukee (7-1), LW #5 vs Mason City 6. Linn-Mar (7-1), LW #7 vs C.R. Jefferson 7. Ankeny […]Todd Kimm
- Escapee from Sioux City caught October 20, 2014A fugitive from northwest Iowa is back in custody. Cletus Armell was listed as an escapee from a Sioux City work release facility back on July 14. The Iowa Department of Corrections reports the 42-year-old Armell was found in Dakota County, Nebraska over the weekend and is now booked in the Woodbury County Jail. Records […]Pat Curtis
- Des Moines woman charged in fatal hit-and-run October 20, 2014A young woman from central Iowa is charged in a fatal weekend hit-and-run accident. Des Moines police were called to an eastside street on Saturday morning and found the body of 55-year-old Kenneth Wallace in the road. Evidence indicated a hit and run, including a license plate. Officers traced the plate to a pickup truck […]Matt Kelley
- New lotto game celebrated in New York event October 20, 2014Representatives from the Iowa Lottery are in New York today as part of the start up of a new lottery game called “Monopoly Millionaires’ Club.” Lottery spokesperson, Mary Neubauer, spoke to Radio Iowa from Times Square. “Everybody is wearing top hats, because obviously the top hat has always been one of the most popular playing […]Dar Danielson
- Hottest September Ever Keeps Earth on Pace for Record Year October 20, 2014The first nine months of 2014 had a global average temperature of 58.72 degrees, tying with 1998 and 2010 for the warmest first nine months on record.
- Mass of Sinkhole Debris Shows Hawaii's Tsunami Risk: Study October 20, 2014A 30-foot-high tsunami blasted Kauai after a 9.25 Aleutian earthquake 500 years ago, and modern-day Hawaiians had better take note, a new study says.
- Cops Name Suspect in Killings of Seven Indiana Women October 20, 2014Police said Darren Vann, 43, was responsible for the deaths of seven women whose bodies were found over the weekend.
- Bogus, Man! Colorado Wants to Ban Pot Brownies October 20, 2014Health officials don't want them to be confused with regular food.
- Two More Deaths Linked to Faulty GM Ignition Switches October 20, 2014So far there have been 184 death claims linked to faulty ignition switches that can slip out of the "on" position and cause cars to stall.
- Ebola Fear: Maine Teacher Put on Leave After Dallas Trip October 20, 2014Parents in Maine demanded that teacher be removed from school after she traveled to Dallas, even though she had no contact with anyone associated with the Ebola outbreak. WCSH's Vivien Leigh reports.
- Score! The Homeless World Cup Turns Lives Around October 20, 2014About eight in ten of the homeless participants from 49 countries change their lives as a result of their participation in these soccer games.
- Fiery Suicide Destroys Law Firm October 20, 2014Witnesses say a man set a truck full of hay on fire then slammed into law office. WAVY's Jason Marks reports.
- LA Kings Player Suspended After Domestic Assault Arrest October 20, 2014Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov was arrested Monday morning on charges of domestic violence.
- 4.7 Million Should Fix Their Air Bags: Safety Watchdog October 20, 2014Safety regulators are warning owners of more than 4.7 million vehicles that have been recalled for air bag problems to get them repaired now.