Mason City, IA – North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) Student Senate is sponsoring a Coat Drive on campus, December 1 to 9, with all items and monetary donations going to NIVC Services to distribute to those in need of winter wear. Students will also be at Hy-Vee East Wednesday, December 3 from 11:00 a.m.-1:00…
Charles City, Iowa – Just a week after finishing her high school volleyball career, Charles City Senior Hali Hillegas signed her letter of intent yesterday to play volleyball at Iowa State University. Head Comet Volleyball Coach Donna Forsyth made the announcement. Hillegas signed in front of a crowd of family, friends, teammates and coaches. She…
Robert H. “Bob” Tobin, Sr., 72, of Charles City, passed away on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at the Floyd County Medical Center with his wife, Rosemary, and daughter, Gloria, at his side. A gathering of family and friends will be held at the Hauser Funeral Home from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday, December 1, 2014.…
Thanks to Steph Shannon of Charles City and his busy schedule, the prize pack for the Nearly Impossible Quiz on Monday November 16th @ 8:35am will also include this sweet treat: To view previous Nearly Impossible Quiz questions and answers, click here.
- Juvenile life sentence challenged November 26, 2014Attorneys for some inmates serving life sentences in Iowa prisons are keeping an eye on a case before the Iowa Supreme Court. Both the U.S. Supreme Court and the Iowa Supreme court have ruled that mandatory life sentences without parole for juvenile offenders amount to “cruel and unusual punishment” and are unconstitutional. So far, in […]Radio Iowa Contributor
- Deere expects net income to drop November 26, 2014Iowa’s largest manufacturing employer is expecting a further decline in equipment sales. The Moline, Illinois-based Deere & Company predicts its annual net income will drop about 40% and revenue from ag and turf equipment — where it gets two thirds of its income — will fall further than it did in fiscal 2014. The company […]Radio Iowa Contributor
- Most of state gets hit with snow November 26, 2014It’s one of the busiest travel days of the year and roads across most of Iowa’s western two-thirds are partly to completely snow covered — and the snow’s still coming down in many areas. Meteorologist Miles Schumacher, at the National Weather Service, says it’s getting deep across much of Iowa’s northern half. “It’s looking like […]Matt Kelley
- Northeast Iowa cheese plant expanding November 26, 2014The operators of a northeast Iowa cheese plant are preparing to expand. Swiss Valley Farms CEO Don Boelens says they’re putting nearly $21 million into the plant in Luana. “We’re basically replacing some aging cheese-making equipment, and in the process we’ll expand the capacity and capability to do different type of cheeses in the process,” […]Dar Danielson
- ISU economist says South Dakota to see benefit of Rock Island Clean Line November 26, 2014An Iowa State University economist says the proposed high-voltage transmission line that would stretch through 16 Iowa counties is likely to help bolster the wind industry in the Dakotas. Economist David Swenson says although the proposed “Rock Island Clean Line” cuts across 500 miles in Iowa and will transport energy from many of the state’s […]Pat Curtis
- Travel Trouble: Thanksgiving Storm Threatens Plans for Millions November 26, 2014A powerful winter storm forecast to disrupt the Thanksgiving travel plans of millions of Americans began its march up the East Coast early Wednesday.Alexander Smith
- Half a Million Sign Up for Obamacare in First Week November 26, 2014What a difference a year makes. More than 460,000 people signed up for health insurance on the federal government’s website during the first week.Maggie Fox
- Artist Formerly Online as Prince Quits Facebook, Twitter November 26, 2014Prince is going to use the Internet like it's 1999. The enigmatic star shut down his Twitter and Facebook accounts this week.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Stent Placed in Her Heart November 26, 2014Ginsburg, 81, said in a series of interviews this year that she has no plans to retire.
- 'Family War': Mom Grabs Slain Son's Gun to Kill Taliban November 26, 2014Reza Gul said she rushed to the small police outpost near her home after it came under Taliban attack in Farah Province.Fazul Rahim
- FBI Agents Shot at Barricaded Home Near Ferguson November 26, 2014Two FBI special agents were shot at a barricaded home just miles from the protest-wracked St. Louis suburb of Ferguson early Wednesday, police said.
- Dozens Arrested on 'Much Better Night' in Ferguson November 26, 2014At least 44 people were arrested as protests erupted in Ferguson, Missouri, for a second night over the Michael Brown case, police said Wednesday.
- In Photos: Rage Flares in Ferguson and Across Country November 26, 2014Anger over a Missouri grand jury's decision not to indict the cop who fatally shot Michael Brown reverberated around the country.
- 'Insult After Injury': Browns Slam 'Disrespectful' Wilson November 26, 2014The mother of Michael Brown said Officer Darren Wilson's account of her son's shooting added 'insult after injury.'
- Cheat Sheet: Black Friday Retail Road Map November 26, 2014Which stores are open and when on Thanksgiving and Black Friday?