The Carnegie Cultural Center is celebrating local artisans with an Storytelling event this Sunday afternoon. Juanita Anderson is the administrator of the Cultural Center and says the free event is a great way to insure that memories of our ancestors are not lost: If you’re interested in hearing about local history and culture or would…
James “Jim” Helfter, age 72, of Sherrard, Illinois, died Sunday, October 26, 2014, at Trinity Hospital in Rock Island, Illinois. Funeral services will be held at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, November 1, 2014, at the Champion-Bucheit Funeral Home in Osage, Iowa, with Pastoral Minister Annette Uker officiating. Burial will be in St. Peter’s Cemetery in New…
Des Moines, Iowa – The Natural Resource Commission (NRC) of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources will meet 12:30 p.m., Sept. 11, at the Wallace State Office Building north parking lot, 502 East Ninth Street, in Des Moines. Commissions will tour the DMACC watershed and Big Creek State Park prior to the meeting leaving the…
- Professor says despite 2014 outcome, Iowa will be ‘purple all the way’ in 2016Two Iowa political scientists say Iowa has “unique” split-ticket voting patterns. Iowa State University political science professor Dave Andersen explains. “I’m new to Iowa and I grew up in New Jersey and in the northeast, where I’m used to seeing states track to one party or the other and Iowa is unique that you can have […]
- Cyclones 14th in AP preseason basketball pollThe Iowa State men are ranked 14th in the Associated Press preseason top-25 basektball poll. That’s the Cyclones’ highest preseason ranking since the 1996-97 season, when ISU was ranked 9th entering the season. It is just the fourth time in school history that the Cyclones have been ranked in the preseason top-25. Iowa State returns […]
- Teal Pumpkin Project seeks safe alternatives for kids allergic to candyHalloween isn’t a very happy holiday for the estimated one in every 13 Iowa kids who have food allergies since they can’t partake in the annual ritual of gobbling piles of candy after trick-or-treating. A central Iowa woman has launched a non-profit group that aims to raise awareness of food allergies during this holiday and […]
- Police fire tear gas into Cherokee man’s homeA standoff in the northwest Iowa town of Cherokee ended early this morning, after a man barricaded himself in a home late last night and threatened to kill himself. Police arrived at the home of 35-year-old Joshua Lee Allender and saw him inside the house, though he refused to come out. Police say Allender showed […]
- West Union bus hits manure spreader, lands in ditchA school bus collided with a tractor that was pulling a manure spreader in northeast Iowa’s Fayette County. The accident happened just before 4:30 p.m. Thursday west of West Union, near the intersection of O Avenue and 220th Street. A tractor driven by 55-year-old Brent Mitchell of Hawkeye was in the process of making a […]
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Crashes During Flight TestVirgin Galactic said its SpaceShipTwo rocket plane suffered an "in-flight anomaly" during a powered test flight on Friday — and other sources said the anomaly involved a catastrophic explosion and crash.
- Maine Judge Rejects Ebola Quarantine for NurseKaci Hickox voiced her support for healthcare workers helping to fight Ebola in West Africa.
- Maine Judge Rejects Ebola Quarantine for NurseThe judge said Kaci Hickox can come and go as she pleases as long as she is monitored for symptoms and lets health officials know where she’s going.
- Freed Captive Felt 'Compelled to Help' Christians in N. KoreaJeffrey Fowle spoke to NBC News after his release.
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Suffers 'Anomaly'Virgin Galactic said its SpaceShipTwo rocket plane suffered an "in-flight anomaly" during a powered test flight on Friday.
- Don't Wear An Ebola Costume, Donate OneA controversial fake Ebola Halloween costume has inspired a donation campaign to fund real hazmat suits for doctors.
- Halloween Trick: Bone-Chilling Weather Brings ShiversAn arctic blast swept into the eastern U.S. Friday, bringing a deep chill to Halloween festivities from the Midwest to the East Coast.
- More Human Remains Recovered From MH17 SiteA Dutch team took advantage of a pause in fighting in eastern Ukraine on Friday to recover human remains from the Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash site.
- 'A Lot of Car Bombs' Await You in Kobani: ISIS JihadiAn ISIS fighter warned Western-backed forces that "a lot of car bombs and suicide bombers are waiting for them" if they come to Kobani, Syria.
- Taken by Surprise: Police Got Lucky Stumbling on Cop SlayerThe Pike County District Attorney discusses the charges against accused copkiller Eric Frein, then police discuss how Frein was located, how he was able to find food and shelter, and the injuries on Frein's face.